Monday, February 8

#Cre8time Jewel Tools... #DIY Cabochon Molds by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here for another Mold Rubber Monday! This Mold Rubber project was born out of necessity. I have a collection of polyurethane Cabochon molds my mother had bought and used 45+ years ago. I now use them regularly to create many of my cabochon pieces. However to remove any resin castings I have to flex the molds back and forth for the cabochons to pop out.


However when the molds get old and used a lot they can slowly become brittle. Well, brittle molds don't take too well to being flexed and I shattered two of my best cabochon molds! I needed to make replacement molds that could flex and be moved easily without the worry of them breaking on me. This is where Amazing Mold Rubber came to the rescue!

Supplies:


I collected samples of resin cabochons that I had already cast, making sure to pick the best ones with nice shine and smooth surfaces. I realized the small plastic trays that pre-prepared sushi and wraps found at supermarkets would be the perfect size and depth to be a mold box for the cabochons. I applied some Aleene's Tacky Glue to the back of each cabochon and placed them in the trays.


I was careful to make sure the now glued on cabochons
were equally spaced and left to dry on a level surface.


Carefully following the instructions, I mixed up one kit of Amazing Mold Rubber and slowly poured it into the mold boxes. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation. I used one Amazing Mold Rubber kit and found it filled the trays halfway.


I mixed up a second kit of Amazing Mold Rubber to fill up the rest of the trays and with the extra mold rubber filled up another plastic box with small crystals.

**Quick tip!** I always have one or two molds set up for Amazing Mold Rubber whenever I mix up a batch, just in case I made too much and I can use the extra for more molds!


Once the  Amazing Mold Rubber was completely cured I removed the molds from the plastic trays. I found that while the glue holding the cabochons held the pieces in place, the glue had not completely set in the middle of each cabochon. With enough pressure each cabochon and mold pulled right out of the trays, allowing me to easily clean up each piece and mold with a baby wipe. When I gently removed the cabochons from the mold rubber they came out rather cleanly, requiring very little trimming of the mold rubber with craft scissors.


I was so excited to try out my new molds I mixed up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin with Alumidust and made several cabochon castings in each new mold.


Each new cabochon came out smooth, shiny and super easy
to remove from my new Amazing Mold Rubber molds!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?

Please share them on the user GALLERY on the Amazing Crafting Products Website!

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...