Friday, February 27

#Resin Rocks! AMAZING #DIY Jewelry by Featured Artist Katie Smith


I'm the Indie Crafts editor over at CraftGossip which means I'm always looking at new stylish tutorials to feature and keeping up with the trends. One of the trends that is pretty popular right now is tribal themed items. I decided to make a necklace inspired by that trend.

While I was up in Oklahoma earlier this month, we stopped at a tiny rock shop and I picked up a few of these 50 cent arrowheads. I decided to try making a mold using them, so that I could make some resin arrowheads!


I started by mixing up a bit of Amazing Mold Putty and mashing my real arrowheads down into it. I let it cure for 20ish minutes before pulling them out {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.


I love how quickly you can make molds with this stuff!


To make my resin arrowheads I first brushed a tiny bit


Then I whipped up a batch of Amazing Casting Resin and added a little bit of Alumilite Dye into it and poured it into my mold {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. 

**TIP** I always have an extra small mold on hand as well in case I have any extra resin, I'll pour it in to there.


While the resin was still liquidy, I placed some jewelry eye pins into my arrowheads so that I could use them on a necklace (without drilling holes or gluing eye pins to them).


The Amazing Casting Resin cures pretty quick, so I pulled these 3 arrowheads out and made a half a dozen more in other colors.


You can see the original arrowheads on the left, and my resin arrowheads on the right. I love that I can make them in different colors!


• • • • •


Katie Smith is a 22 year old artist currently living in Dallas/Fort Worth. She does a little bit of everything crafty – scrapbooking, card making, drawing, mixed media and art journaling, sewing, quilting, basket making, general DIY’s and painting canvas shoes that she sells in her etsy shop! She also is the indie crafts columnist for CraftGossip.com where she has a review of the new Amazing Remelt {CLICK HERE to jump over and check it out}. Katie is also a published artist in multiple magazines including Creating Keepsakes, Stitch Craft Create as well as a few craft books. You can see more of Katie's art on her blog: www.punkprojects.com.

• • • • •

Thanks for stopping by today! We hope you enjoyed this tutorial from Katie Smith. We want to say THANKS to Katie for joining us as our Featured Artist for February... and we hope that she'll come join us again in the future. Please take time to visit her blog punkprojects.com to see more of her fabulous work. Don't forget to drop CraftGossip.com and check out her Indie Crafts column.

Have a fabulous day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...